Renowned and Pragmatic International Family Law Representation

Grayfords solicitors are specialists in international family law able to deal with highly complex international jurisdiction and financial matters.

No matter your situation, with our resources and experience, you are in safe hands.

Each Grayfords solicitor has extensive experience in matters which often arise in applications, including:

  • Divorce and separation
  • Child matters
  • Financial settlements
  • Pension sharing
  • International asset discovery/protection
  • Property ownership

For highly complex international family law matters, including international divorce, rely on the expertise of Grayfords lawyers. Contact us without delay to schedule a free initial consultation and secure the knowledgeable legal representation you deserve.

International Family Law

International Divorce

Our international family law solicitors have assisted numerous clients in highly complex international divorce case. We are experts in giving sound legal advice to both UK citizens living overseas and clients coming from other jurisdictions.

If you are unsure on whether there is an international element to your divorce, the best thing to do is contact a Grayfords solicitors straight away. That is because in such cases there is often a “race” to issue proceedings in another country, which in turn can make that the jurisdiction in which the case is heard. Avoiding this may be beneficial to you, given that this can have a number of financial implications and heavily affect the length of your case.

International Child Matters

Our solicitors are child matters specialists and have worked on extremely intricate cases involving children and different jurisdictions. While divorce cases involving the protection of Parental Rights overseas can be quite complex, we at Grayfords have all the tools and experience necessary to advise you on your case.

 We are able to process all of the documents you might need and negotiate residence, contact and maintenance on your behalf.

International Family Law
International Family Law

International Assets

Divorces involving international elements require legal expertise and skills so that you are able to secure assets located overseas. 

As we help you secure international assets, we will guide you through all of the potential complexities of trust and company law involved in your case.

Our experts can also help locate assets that are held in other jurisdictions.

Frequently Asked Questions

This will depend on many different factors and it is advised that you contact a family lawyer sooner rather than later so that you can understand what your options are before proceedings start in another country.

However, in general, you should be able to get divorced in England and Wales provided that either you or your partner, if not both, is ‘habitually resident’ here. This term is understood as the place where someone lives, work, and deals with most of their personal affairs.

That might be the case, yes. International divorces might take a little bit more time to be concluded as relevant documents are sent back and forth through international post.

Nevertheless, it is important to consider that cases might take even longer if you take time your time to contact a solicitor and the divorce proceedings end up beginning in another jurisdiction.

Child Abduction refers to the situation in which a child has been removed or retained across an international border in contravention of a court order or without the consent of the other person holding Parental Responsibility.

Parents should be aware that the law on abduction also takes short trips, holidays, and visits to a parent’s homeland into consideration. As such, if you have any concerns regarding such trips, you may wish to seek legal advice from an experienced solicitor prior to travelling with your child.

There are few exceptions to this: unless a Court Order clearly states that a child ‘lives with’ a parent, the latter will require permission of every other individual holding Parental Responsibility before travelling internationally with that child. If it is the case that a child ‘lives with’ that parent, however, permission is unnecessary in trips of up to one month.

In such cases, it is important that you act as soon as possible. If there is a possibility that your child is still in the country, you may want to start by contacting the police and giving them a description that would help them identify your child.

It is also vital that you contact an experienced family law solicitor as early as you can. Your solicitor will help you fill out any necessary documentation, apply for an emergency court order and guide you through any further steps required to bring your child home safely.

Contacting a solicitor will be beneficial even if the actual removal of the children from the country has not yet happened and you are only suspicious that it will. In this scenario, our Grayfords solicitors will be able to detail which steps you should take next so as to avoid further complications.

During a divorce, overseas assets (such as property or money) will be dealt with in the same way as any other asset. Any matrimonial property, whether or not it is located abroad, should be taken into consideration in a financial settlement.

Yes. Our solicitors are uniquely equipped to deal with asset deception and discovery and to advise clients of their potential entitlement. We are very experienced in recovering assets and dealing with highly complex financial matters.

We have tools which allow us to uncover assets which have been hidden – even in overseas jurisdictions – and the connections to provide an in-depth analysis of assets held.